It’s fantastic that so many people are offering to help during COVID-19. To ensure that volunteers protect themselves as well as the people they are helping, South Derbyshire CVS has collated some short video guides. Please feel free to use these for your group and to share with your volunteers.
Tips for Telephone Befriending
Volunteering during COVID-19
Further Information and Guidance for Groups / Organisations
- Coronavirus: How to Help Safely (Government guidance on how people providing help to vulnerable individuals in the community can do this safely): https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-how-to-help-safely–2
- Community groups and COVID-19: what you need to know about data protection: A blog by Ian Hulme, Director for Regulatory Assurance at the Information Commissioner’s Office, clarifying some of the basics of data protection, and giving established community groups, services and charities clarity on how to apply the law in this extraordinary time: https://ico.org.uk/about-the-ico/news-and-events/blog-community-groups-and-covid-19/
- COVID-19 Food Hygiene advice: South Derbyshire District Council’s Environmental Health Team have information available on their Facebook page www.facebook.com/southderbys/ and they are also willing to discuss any specific issues to ensure that any food provided for consumers, particularly those in a vulnerable group is safe. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- COVID-19 Psychological First Aid course: Developed by Public Health England, this FREE course is aimed at frontline or essential workers and volunteers dealing with the public during the COVID-19 pandemic: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/psychological-first-aid-covid-19.
- Guidance and check list for groups organising support (produced by Voluntary Support N Somerset): https://voluntarysupport.org.uk/coronavirus-covid-19/support-for-volunteer-groups/
- Guidance on informal good neighbour activity (produced by Voluntary Action Leeds): https://doinggoodleeds.org.uk/assets/files/Neighbour%20Pack%20Final.pdf
- Guidelines for volunteers delivering medicines, shopping or other supplies to self-isolating individuals (produced by Derbyshire County Council): https://strongersouthderbyshire.files.wordpress.com/2020/04/guidelines-for-volunteers-delivering-food-or-medicines.docx
- Guidelines for volunteers in a food distribution centre (e.g food bank) during COVID 19 (produced by Derbyshire County Council): https://strongersouthderbyshire.files.wordpress.com/2020/04/guidelines-for-volunteers-working-in-food-distribution.docx
- NCVO has a page with information specifically aimed at voluntary organisations: https://www.ncvo.org.uk/practical-support/information/coronavirus.
- Remote working guides: Easy to use guides from CAST (Centre for Acceleration of Social Technology) on Small Charities Coalition website – getting to grips with remote working, remote meetings and how to use Zoom, Google Hangouts and Skype: https://www.smallcharities.org.uk/covid-legal-and-technical-advice/
- Sandy Adirondack’s legal updates: Regular mailings with relevant and clear guidance, advice and resources for the voluntary sector – recently this has included links to home working policies, risk assessments, HR guidance and legal advice, plus much more. To sign up for the legal updates email list contact Sandy on email@example.com
- Safeguarding and DBS Checks: Government factsheet and FAQ addressing specific concerns that people involved in supporting their community may have at this time. Including whether certain roles require DBS checks and other sensible measures to keep people safe: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/safeguarding-factsheet-community-volunteers-during-covid-19-outbreak
- VCSE Resources Hub: NAVCA list, regularly updated, of information and guidance on a whole range of issues – legal, safeguarding, governance, funding, operational issues: https://navca.org.uk/vcse-resources-hub
Proud to be sharing resources across the NAVCA network